Bonjour de la Suisse

Hello from Switzerland! ~~ The adventures of a California girl who got married to a great guy, G, and traded in her old life for the chance to live in a foreign land and live the expat life for a couple years. We live in Geneva, Switzerland with our globe-trotting cat, Scout.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : California, United States

"The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land." ~ G.K. Chesterton

jeudi, novembre 24, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving!


Bonsoir, I hope everyone is enjoying their Thanksgiving festivities! We are missing seeing everyone, but we are still celebrating just the same. I went searching for traditional Thanksgiving faire at the local market, but all I found was sliced raw turkey (a miracle, since it was actually the first turkey I have seen since my arrival here). I also found canned corn, pears, and pineapple (I thought it would go with the turkey...) and something that looked like carrot cake. No pumpkin of any kind and nothing close to cranberries, but I figured we would make due with what we had. So, when Gary got home and saw what was for dinner, we decided to go out. We ate at "Restaurant au Carnivore". It was very good, and the potatoes were about the best either of us had ever had! Geneva is known for its exquisite restaurants, and this one was wonderful!

I have been busy exploring all the things that will make every day life here a little easier, like getting a 1/2 price rail card, figuring out the best places to shop, planning our winter travels, and signing us up for "happy hour" with the "America's Club" which meets every 3rd Thursday or something like that. I even signed up for the gym! The beauty of the gym is it's only two blocks away and we can actually see it from our bedroom window, so it will be one of the first things I see every day (big guilt factor!) :) It's really nice, they even have TV monitors built into every treadmill and elliptical rider!

The gym is essential because it is COLD here. I think the only time I've been colder was in Boston with Lori when we got lost in a snowstorm trying to get to the Quincy Market in Faneuil Hall. Gary and I have come to realize that we need heavier coats. But, the cold weather here is a good excuse to travel to more southerly destinations! People have also told us that it's actually warmer in the mountains skiing, so I'm really looking forward to the slopes opening (which should be in a couple weeks or so).

Gary and I saw our first movie in Geneva! Well, I saw "In Her Shoes" with our friend Sarah & her sister and Gary saw "Flight Plan" on his own (he didn't want to see a chick flick). It is essential to pay attention to which showing of a movie you go to here, since 90% are dubbed in French. You have to go to the v.o. showing (or version originale} which is the English version with French and German subtitles. We also found GOOD Mexican food! There's a place by the theater that is quite tasty (some of you may have heard me complain that there is no good Mexican food in this town, but I stand corrected!) So now I have no excuse to load up on burritos and enchiladas when I'm back in Cali.

Well, that is all for now. I'm off to the bank to get added onto our Swiss bank account (if anyone needs money laundering services, let me know!) Au revoir!

3 Comments:

Blogger CHO farmer said...

Sounds like you are havina good time! Give Gary a big kiss for me and enjoy the snow. Kirkwood just got 6' so we are going to start soon.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Manoa Missy said...

I'm glad you can get you burrito fix--I'm not sure fare from Dos Coyotes would travel well...

Have some cocoa for me, or is that one of those things that folks from the US have twisted around, like french fries and belgian waffles???

10:13 PM  
Blogger Costa Rica Chica said...

After all your searching and you end up going out for dinner!?!? I would have too. Well, I would have skipped the searching part and just said, "guess whose eating out tonight?"

Oh, and KDD--Coco van is not chocolate chicken. I learned that little tidbit in France. I think it was good. Well, it was better than snails, so there you go.

7:11 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home