Bonjour de la Suisse

Hello from Switzerland! ~~ The adventures of a California girl who got married to a great guy, G, and traded in her old life for the chance to live in a foreign land and live the expat life for a couple years. We live in Geneva, Switzerland with our globe-trotting cat, Scout.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : California, United States

"The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land." ~ G.K. Chesterton

jeudi, janvier 19, 2006

There's no place like home... :)

I'm not one to miss a good festival, so I try to work them into our travels whenever I can.

With only two days left until we head home to California, I decided to take one final day trip to a small ski town in central Switzerland called Grindelwald. It takes four hours by train to get there (8 hours round trip), through Interlaken. I went because all I've been hearing about is the famous, week long "World Snow Festival" that takes place here every year. The Lonely Planet guidebook even lists this event as "a highlight".

Stepping off the train in Grindelwald, I was excited... the snow was falling, the little Alpine town was beautiful, and I could see the huge banner for the festival just up the road. Turns out the banner was about the best thing about the festival, which wasn't at all festive. I rounded the corner to see a bus parking lot and along the back side of the lot were 8 large piles of snow that were just beginning to take the shape of something or other.

The Banner:



The Festival:



Which is better? You choose.

Since I had traveled all this way, I decided to make the most of it and wander around town. 20 minutes later I was back at the train station. Fabulous. Now I don't want to be down on the town, but if you aren't skiing or participating in any of the other winter sports, there isn't much to do here this time of year. So, I headed to Interlaken where it was pouring rain. After an hour or so I was headed home. I'm looking forward to coming back here in the summer when we can hike and enjoy the countryside, but unless I have my board with me, I won't be heading back here in the winter.

Last week I took a day trip to the northern Swiss town of Basel. This was a nice place, but again, probably better when it's warmer. After I'd walked around and checked out a couple museums, I had some time so I decided to catch the 30 minute train to Freiburg, Germany in the heart of the Black Forest. Not only had I heard this was a great town, but I had never been to Germany, so this was my big chance.

Now a friend of mine once told me that you aren't officially in a country unless you spend the night or have a meal there (away from the airport or train station). So Pat, in your honor I had a meal in Frieburg, and I can now say I've officially been to Germany.

This brings my sabbatical country count to 8 countries in 10 weeks. We've experienced many new & unusual things, and we've learned to live like locals here in Geneva. And although we're having a wonderful time in all the places we're traveling to, I find that I'm looking forward to going to California so much! Traveling gives you a new perspective of the world and I know how lucky we are that we have this opportunity. But, in the end, there really is no place like home.

I'll be home for three weeks and Gary will be home for two. Once we get back to Switzerland, I'll begin to look for a job and possibly going back to school while we're here. And of course continuing with my French lessons. It's exciting and nerve racking all at the same time, since I'm not quite sure what I'll be doing yet. Another grand adventure waits just around the corner! Let's just hope it's more interesting than the Grindelwald World Snow Festival. ;)

2 Comments:

Blogger sactownkid said...

Great entry, sorry that World Snow Festival wasn't all that. Give me a ring if you head up to Sac!

9:40 PM  
Blogger Kid said...

Can't wait for your blog from Africa!

1:23 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home