Bonjour de la Suisse

Hello from Switzerland! ~~ The adventures of a California girl who got married to a great guy, G, and traded in her old life for the chance to live in a foreign land and live the expat life for a couple years. We live in Geneva, Switzerland with our globe-trotting cat, Scout.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : California, United States

"The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land." ~ G.K. Chesterton

dimanche, avril 13, 2008

April showers

I never thought I would have a baby shower, simply because for the last eleven weeks we have been living day to day trying to make it to full term. So when some friends of mine talked about throwing one I was thrilled, although a tad bit reluctant since I didn’t know if I would make it to the day of the shower before I gave birth. But it gave me a good goal to stay focused on and something to look forward to! To my happy surprise, two showers were planned! I was so touched and so happy to have such thoughtful friends.

The first shower was thrown by my friend Cathy for the luncheon group we belong to called “The Non-Desperate Housewives of Geneva”. They are a great group of girls I started hanging out with about six moths ago. Cathy organized everything and cooked a fabulous lunch for everyone. The shower was at our flat, since I’m still on bed rest and it was a little too soon for me to venture out. It was so nice to see all the girls. The lunch was delicious and the gifts were so cute! The afternoon was wonderful, I had the best time hanging out with everyone and it really lifted my spirits! (Thanks for the photos Sophia!)


The Non-Desperate Housewives of Geneva shower


The next Sunday Mr. & Mrs. Kofi threw a shower for us at their house in the town of Mies. Yes, I actually left our flat (other than for doctors appointments) for the first time in eleven weeks! I must say I was a bit nervous. But Mr. Kofi came to pick us up (no train for me yet!) and they had a nice spot on their couch all set for me. We had a nice lunch together and then everyone else came for the afternoon “mixed” (guys & girls) shower. Mrs. Kofi did so much work; she made a ton of food and organized the whole thing.

It was a lovely afternoon. Most of the people who came were from G’s office as well as a few other Geneva friends. Most of the folks I hadn’t seen in some time, so it was really great to reconnect with everyone. The weather was beautiful and we ended up sitting out in the garden to chat away the afternoon and open gifts. Just to be able to sit in the sunshine was fantastic for me!


At Mr. & Mrs. Kofi's house



Besides actually making it through eleven weeks of bed rest, these showers have been the highlight of the last few months for me! It’s been hard being on bed rest with our family so far away. That’s why I am so thankful to have such wonderful people here in Geneva that care so much. That’s really what friends are for!