Bonjour de la Suisse

Hello from Switzerland! ~~ The adventures of a California girl who got married to a great guy, G, and traded in her old life for the chance to live in a foreign land and live the expat life for a couple years. We live in Geneva, Switzerland with our globe-trotting cat, Scout.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : California, United States

"The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land." ~ G.K. Chesterton

jeudi, janvier 31, 2008

A sudden change of plans...

The day after we arrived back in Geneva from Burgundy we had a doctor’s visit with my OBGYN. During a visit in December I was told to “take it easy” due to my cervix being on the “short end” of the scale. I was to stop exercising, not to take stairs, not to lift anything heavy, and not to walk too much. Even with our travels I had modified my activities and was following her instructions to a tee.

Now it was late January and during my most recent ultrasound it showed that my cervix had shortened to just 2cm (normal is 3-5cm). So my doctor put me on bed rest at home and forbid me to travel. Well, this drastically changed our plans for moving back to California.

We were set to move back the last week of February, which is just one month away, now it looks like we are here until after the baby is born in May. We even asked, “If we were to get me on a plane tomorrow, could I make the journey back to the US?” “Absolutely not” she told us. So it looks like we are here for a few more months.

The other plans that suddenly changed were the few remaining trips I had booked that I now had to cancel. Next week I was supposed to visit my step-brother in Weimar, Germany where he had moved to a couple of months ago. Then I was to meet G in Köln, Germany for Karnival (cleverly disguised as a business trip). I also had plans to visit Andorra (the last of the “small countries” I have yet to see), a short trip to Paris to visit a high school friend who lives there, and finally to Northern Ireland to do a little genealogy research. I had to scrap all my plans and trade it for our not so comfy couch. It is probably for the best… I don’t want to overexert myself 24 weeks into my pregnancy.

The last week of January G went to Köln on his business trip. At first he didn’t want to go, but I insisted. It was only for three days and it really isn’t that far from Geneva in case he had to rush back for any reason. (He did cancel his upcoming business trip to the US, because it was just too far with me on bed rest.) I was bummed to have missed the festivities in Köln, but it sounded like G had a good time. His costume for Karnival was “The Duke of Darkness” and I thought the pictures turned out great!

I was also happy to hear that there were a ton of “hippie” costumes this year. We went as hippies two years ago (we bought the real deal from Height-Ashbury on a visit home) when the costume was completely nonexistent (clowns and cowboys dominated the scene). Did we start a trend? I like to think so, but that may just be in my mind. Still, it’s pretty groovy!


Partying it up at Karnival in Köln