Bonjour de la Suisse

Hello from Switzerland! ~~ The adventures of a California girl who got married to a great guy, G, and traded in her old life for the chance to live in a foreign land and live the expat life for a couple years. We live in Geneva, Switzerland with our globe-trotting cat, Scout.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : California, United States

"The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land." ~ G.K. Chesterton

lundi, décembre 10, 2007

In search of Père Noël

The centuries-old tradition of the Christmas Market is one of the great joys of Christmas in Europe. Complete with the festive atmosphere and the aroma of roasting chestnuts, hot wine, sausages and fresh baked goods that fill the air. I love to stroll the decorated boutique-lined streets and peruse the locally hand-made crafts.

This year I made it to three Christmas Markets. G & I spent the day at the markets in Strasbourg and Colmar, both in France near the German boarder and later in the week I ventured to Monteux which isn't too far from Geneva.

Strasbourg had the biggest market in France by far and is a nice mix between French and German culture. Colmar is just about the cutest place I have ever seen. The market is spread throughout the town along the pedestrian streets that line the winding canals. It is such a lovely town. I could definitely see myself back here in the warm weather of summer just taking in the ambiance of the place.

We sampled some of the culinary delights of the market and bought a few things, mostly ornaments and hand made Christmas decorations. I also picked up a wooden version of the game Connect Four - I can't resist locally made games. I also bought a bottle of absinthe for Gary (well, for me too in about a year). I figure we can't get it in the US, so why not? Absinthe, by the way, originated in Val-de-Travers, Switzerland, as an elixir. Interesting.

We also found some climbing Santas (all the rage in Europe). We didn't get them because I had seen them in Geneva the week before and figured I would just pick one up back home instead of dragging it with us on the train (they are a bit big). Well, of course when I went looking for them in Geneva they are no where to be found! They were all sold out or just not being sold anymore. So lesson learned: When you see a climbing Santa, just buy it! :)

Strasbourg




Colmar