Bonjour de la Suisse

Hello from Switzerland! ~~ The adventures of a California girl who got married to a great guy, G, and traded in her old life for the chance to live in a foreign land and live the expat life for a couple years. We live in Geneva, Switzerland with our globe-trotting cat, Scout.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : California, United States

"The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land." ~ G.K. Chesterton

mardi, octobre 23, 2007

Good old US of A

I was a bit anxious getting on the Continental flight on my way to US... but could you blame me? The last time I flew with them it took me 72 hours to get home to Geneva... but they are the cheapest by far, so I took a chance. Thankfully all went well and it was an uneventful (and on-time) flight.

The main reason for my trip to the US was the wedding of our friends, W & K, but I was determined to make the most of my trip and headed to Florida first to see my grandparents and aunt & uncle. It was three days of warm weather, catching up, and shopping - the clothes here are SO much cheaper than Geneva, and with the dollar plummeting overseas, I was sure to get some good deals. I always have a wonderful time in Florida, but as usual my time was way too short... soon it was time to continue my journey onto California.

The flight to California was not so uneventful... no, nothing wrong with the airline, except they let this drunk guy on the flight. And as luck would have it, he decided that he was keen on talking to ME. It started even before we boarded the plane when he was shouting at the first class passengers who were getting on the flight before everyone else. Then he got mad at the folks with kids who were also "cutting" in front. His mood vastly improved when he thought he was sitting near me... "Great! I can tell you all about my construction job and how much I like whisky..." Thank goodness we were two rows apart. But he made another friend and would not shut up for about an hour or so (on the late night flight all my fellow passengers and I wanted to do was sleep). It would have been all right if he wasn't SO LOUD! Oh well, at least it wasn't me he was jabbering at.

Friday I had to take a test to renew my EMT license. I had been studying quite a bit, but was still nervous because it has been months since I had been in class. This was the day it poured and poured rain, which wasn't good considering we were going to an outdoor wedding the next day! I picked G up at the airport and that night we had an early birthday dinner for him with his family.

On Saturday the sun came out and we drove up to Sebastopol to attend W & K's wedding. It was beautiful, of course, and we had such a great time! The next morning we had breakfast with G's mom, Chica, Mrs. Mingle, and her dad (who lives up in Sebastopol). It was great company and a mouth watering all-American breakfast! It really hit the spot.

I drove back to SF with Chica & Mrs. Mingle to attend a birthday party for Siff's daughter's first birthday. It was in Golden Gate Park and no one knew I was coming... I was the surprise guest of the day. I was thrilled to see them! The party was fun, even with the unwelcome guest that tried to steal food from the pot-luck table. It was such a nice afternoon catching up with everyone.


That evening G picked me up at Chica's parent's house and we were headed back to SF to have dinner with my mom & Mr. F. We were in for a big treat when we met the newest member of the family... Everett the black lab. He is SO CUTE!


On Monday night we had plans to have dinner with our good friends, P & K. They were expecting their first little one the following weekend, so we figured a dinner date early in the week was a safe bet. But on our way over to their place we got a call that they were going into labor! We were so thrilled for them and couldn't think of a happier reason cancel. Little Dashiell was soon here, healthy and happy. :)

The rest of the week was a whirlwind of lunch and dinner dates (& lots of Mexican food, yum!)... we had so many people to see and not a lot of time. In addition to Dashiell, there were three other new babies to meet. It seems like everyone is having kids! Even though it was a busy week, I had such a wonderful visit. Oh, and on my final day in the states I found out that I passed my EMT test!

As usual, it was over way too fast and soon I was headed back to the airport to catch my flight to Geneva. I'm happy to report that the flight back was uneventful... the flight was so empty I even got my own row to myself!

The next time I fly back to the US it will be to move back to California. We got the word this week that G is to be transferred back to the San Jose office in late February. We have four months left in Europe and we are determined to make the most of it! It's sad because we love it here in Geneva, but at the same time we are happy to be returning to a great place, close to family and back to our wonderful friends. There really is no place like home. :)