Bonjour de la Suisse

Hello from Switzerland! ~~ The adventures of a California girl who got married to a great guy, G, and traded in her old life for the chance to live in a foreign land and live the expat life for a couple years. We live in Geneva, Switzerland with our globe-trotting cat, Scout.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : California, United States

"The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land." ~ G.K. Chesterton

vendredi, janvier 27, 2006

A tale of long flights, good friends, and football

It's 3am and I'm wide awake. I'm bound and determined not to let my jetlag get the best of me this time, although it's still only my first day back, so I expect to be up a little earlier than normal for a while. So, I'm back in Geneva and later this morning I will be heading off to the eastern Swiss town of Thusis, near the Italian boarder. Gary and I will be joining our Swiss friends, Sarah and Kofi at their ski chalet for the week. From there we drive to Turin, Italy to spend the weekend at the Olympics! I am so excited. For those that know me, I'm a true Olympic junkie, taping almost every minute of televised coverage that I can't watch live. To actually be there is going to be great!

My flight was long and uneventful, which is always good. On the plane I was thinking of all the things I didn't get done while I was home. I didn't get my hair cut or get the mani/pedi I had planned on, there were packages that I didn't get to the post office (thanks, Gayle for taking them for me!), and I never made it back to the "Walking Store" to try on the cute shoes that looked so comfortable for the long days of sightseeing that usually make my feet so sore!

But all the wonderful things I did get to do made my three weeks fantastic! The first two weeks were a hectic blur of Genentech business. I worked 16 hour days to ensure that I was leaving my two grave shifts in the best possible place. Quitting that job was one of the hardest things I've ever done, but my boss (and his boss and his boss) all said there is always a place for me in our department. It's nice to know I have options when I get back!

By far the best part of being home was the last week, when I got the chance to see everyone and simply hang out. I had such a great time and had a lot of good laughs! I even got to meet my friend Scott's new baby daughter, Grace (so cute)! Among other things, I helped secure a second place victory for team Patti O'Furniture at trivia night at O'Neils Pub, I spent two days up in the Sac/Yolo/Solano area, and on Friday our rowdy little dinner group cleared out our entire section at Bucca di Beppo! We also got to spend quite a bit of time with our families and were able to finally share our wedding video and pictures with them! Thanks to Gayle for putting us up, and Karin, it was a blast staying with you for the last week!

The saying "the more things change, the more they stay the same" really is so true! I can't wait for June when we'll be back for a few weeks to attend Mike & Georgia and Darren & Christina's weddings and, of course, the infamous houseboat trip. So, thanks everyone for making this trip so much fun! I can't wait to see you again soon.


And finally, I want to give a big shout out to the best team in the NFL (despite what happened last Sunday), the Seattle Seahawks! I've been rooting them on since I was a kid and every year I hoot and holler that "this is the year!" Of course this has got me very funny looks and some laughs over the years, but my faith never wavered. So, after 30 years of blood, sweat & tears (mostly on my part), a Super bowl win was finally in reach. Unfortunately, the Steelers had a slightly better game (with a little help from the refs). Am I sad? Not at all... I will just go back to my mantra, "Next Year!" and book a flight so I'm home again for the big game! :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Kid said...

yeah yeah yeah...now how bout some cousins for Sammy and Cammy?

xoxo

P.S. Whatch out for terrorists...

7:50 AM  
Blogger CHO farmer said...

It was great to see you again! Don't be a stranger and maybe next time Grace will be a little more pleasant. Maybe.....

9:31 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home