Bonjour de la Suisse

Hello from Switzerland! ~~ The adventures of a California girl who got married to a great guy, G, and traded in her old life for the chance to live in a foreign land and live the expat life for a couple years. We live in Geneva, Switzerland with our globe-trotting cat, Scout.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : California, United States

"The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land." ~ G.K. Chesterton

lundi, août 28, 2006

small country, BIG passion!



After all our adventures in France, Amsterdam & Belgium I was a little worried that Chica would be bored in Geneva. I have heard so many times what an unexciting city Geneva is (Rick Steves calls it "The big, dull city of Geneva") that I have become a little self-conscious of my new home when visitors arrive.

We had decided to stay local through the weekend, since the Fêtes de Genève was starting (the big 10-day festival that takes over the town ever August). I was busy scowering GenevaOnLine (GoL) for some fun stuff to do and came across this ad: "Do you want to be in a parade? Come join us and support Trinidad/Tobago on Saturday!" Wow, that sounds like it could be interesting, so Chica, G & I went to the informational meeting on Friday at a local pub. (G wasn't going to partake in the parade, something about having to work... yeah, right, but he would come by and take a few pictures and lend his moral support). We were told that the next day, we would be given red t-shirts to wear and to show up in black shorts and see you then!

The next day we arrived at the organizer's apartment to get ready for the big parade, Caravane du Monde (which was billed as, "An ambulatory show and large festival where everyone shares in the musical traditions of the world.") Originally there were 15 or so volunteers (besides the core contingency who were actually from Trinidad/Tobago), but due to the weather, which looked like impending rain, there were only four of us. Myself, Chica, Ms Tropical, and a brave guy that agreed to be a "devil", painted in chocolate.

We didn't really know anyone, but we were trying to help out as much as we could. The chocolate wasn't working, so our guy was put in a blue outfit and painted blue. Then Ms Tropical comes out in full costume! Cool, but I will wear the t-shirt thank you. Next thing I know Chica is in costume and a couple other girls have whisked me into a back room "just to try one on". I thought that all the girls there were going to be in costume, so I figured I would try, but still I was going to wear the t-shirt. Next thing I know I was being stapled into this crazy thing and then panic erupted in the apartment, "WE"RE LATE!! Everyone out the door!!" A big feathery hat was slapped on my head and we were walking through the streets on our way to the parade!!

Facts about the parade:
Number of Trinidad/Tobago volunteers in costume (including blue-guy): 4
Number of real Trinidad/Tobago folks in costume: 0
Number of people in the entire parade in skin-bearing costumes: about 7
Number of mirrors in the apartment where we put on our costumes, so we could see exactly what we looked like in these things: 0
...hmmmm, not good.


The parade starts and I go into a slight panic. I became acutely aware of just how little I was wearing and just how many people I have met in Geneva that could potentially be there. Not to mention that my husband is expecting us to be in t-shits and shorts! My only hope was that people were scarred off by the potential of rain, but it was not to be, the parade route was packed! I finally see G's smiling face (camera in hand!) and was relieved that he was amused by our attire. I was starting to really have fun, but it was seriously the longest parade in the world!! For four hours we danced and smiled and danced some more.

At the end we were led into a huge circle of spectators to dance some more. Most groups had practiced choreographed dances for this, but our motley crew just shimmied around to the sounds of our steel drum band. It sort of felt like we were being led into the gauntlet. It wasn't pretty, but we were finally done!! In the end we really had a great time, and us four volunteers were granted permanent citizenship to Trinidad/Tobago, the "small country with BIG passion!"

We finished the weekend off with a little wake boarding on Lake Geneva with some folks from GoL (different group). I have to honestly say it was the roughest water I have ever boarded on, I felt like I was being tossed around like a rag doll. Chica and I seemed to make a good impression with our mad skills (although we have both boarded much better at Trinity). We had a great time and met some cool people too! We also got a workout when we were told that the train was leaving in 4 minutes (we were about six blocks away)! We ran-like-hell uphill to the station and made the train without a second to spare. Good thing, since it was an hour until the next one. Good times, good times.

And for all those people that think Geneva is dull & boring... you should hang out with us for a while! ;)


The four brave volunteers


Our flag guy


Our steel drum band


Small country, BIG passion -- on the parade route


The entire Trinidad/Tobago contingency (most of us, anyway)


Pic with the Swiss guys that carried traditional Swiss cow bells the entire parade!


Me & my supportive husband


Let’s board!! (See how rough the water was?!?)


About to board, that water is COLD!!


Chica braves the water!


The whole wake boarding gang

1 Comments:

Blogger Kid said...

Do you see how the fellas are looking at you in some of those pics? Glad your supportive Hubby was there just in case one of those nice Swiss boys got fresh with you.

12:13 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home