Bonjour de la Suisse

Hello from Switzerland! ~~ The adventures of a California girl who got married to a great guy, G, and traded in her old life for the chance to live in a foreign land and live the expat life for a couple years. We live in Geneva, Switzerland with our globe-trotting cat, Scout.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : California, United States

"The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land." ~ G.K. Chesterton

lundi, septembre 25, 2006

Jambo!

I know I tend to think that a lot of things in life are great, but I have to honestly say these last two weeks in Africa have been absolutely amazing. It truly was the trip of a lifetime.

Our trip to Tanzania and Kenya was incredible! It was so different from anything I had ever done. We saw more wildlife than I ever dreamed we would and we learned so much about the local cultures and people. We ate the most scrumptious local cuisine and I even learned a bit of Swahili.

We had 10 solid days of game drives in 6 different national parks, including Serengeti National Park. We visited a Maasai Boma village, donated school supplies at a local orphanage, toured the famous archeological site (and museum) of Olduvai, and hung out at our guide's local bar in Arusha. Our adventures included landing on a dirt airstrip in the middle of nowhere in a tiny plane, dining on a traditional dhow boat, feeding giraffes at the Giraffe Center in Nairobi, sailing on a outrigger carved out of a log, and swimming in the Indian Ocean. One of my favorite parts of the trip was camping in the middle of nowhere, where the only thing between us and the roaring lions outside was the canvas tent!

Experiencing all the amazing, wonderful things Africa has to offer also includes coming face to face with the staggering poverty that is here too. Especially around Mombassa, on the Kenyan coast, we saw poverty like I have never seen before. It really makes you appreciate what you have and want to share it with those less fortunate.

I will write a more detailed account of our adventures with a few more pictures (you know me!) next week. We are off again! This time to Munich where G has a business meeting that just happens to be at the same time as Oktoberfest -- very convenient! :)

Although, I think I may be in trouble because I now know significantly more Swahili than German… hmmm... I better get studying!

4 Comments:

Blogger sactownkid said...

Can't wait to see more pics from the trip. Sounds fantastic!

6:42 PM  
Blogger Kid said...

Sweet (Sac kid took my "Fantastic" already)! I can hardly believe that you guys made it off the "dark" continent in one piece. I was hoping to see you report that you saved a village or built a school somewhere. Seems you selfishly spent all your time taking from Africa rather than giving. I'm quite disappointed. Ohh well...at least this world has Agelina & Brad.

Just kidding...more pics please.

kid

9:35 PM  
Blogger Kid said...

ohh..one more thing. Please have Obus catch up on all the Puck Pig happenings via the blog...we have advanced to the second round of the playoffs and are positioned to go all the way.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Costa Rica Chica said...

What a great trip. THat's inspiring. Not so much to go and do good with poor kids--that's my daily life (yikes--but it does make me feel like I never have to give to homeless people on the street or contribute to political campaigns, or pay on dates...wait, I had a point here. Oh!) But I want to go look at pretty animals. That sounds fun!

1:06 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home