Bonjour de la Suisse

Hello from Switzerland! ~~ The adventures of a California girl who got married to a great guy, G, and traded in her old life for the chance to live in a foreign land and live the expat life for a couple years. We live in Geneva, Switzerland with our globe-trotting cat, Scout.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : California, United States

"The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land." ~ G.K. Chesterton

dimanche, août 05, 2007

Vive la France! ~ our travels continue

The next morning we were off to Paris to meet G and to celebrate Bastille Day, or "la Fête Nationale" as they say in France. I had been here for the festivities last year with my friend J and it was fantastic! This year I wanted to be sure we had a good spot for the big fireworks show, so the three of us arrived at Champ de Mars, the park in front of the Eiffel Tower, at around 3pm, just to be sure. There was not a cloud in the sky and it was HOT! So hot that G hung out in the shade while my mom and I sat in the middle of the park under our umbrellas. The wait was not in vain. We were treated to a free concert before the main event!



Nelly Furtado, Bob Sinclar, and a couple other bands were the lead up to the headliner - Michel Polnareff! What? Never heard of him? Us either! (G thinks he looks like a cross between Twisted Sister and Elton John). Turns out he is a hugely popular singer from the 70's who was actually exiled from France for tax evasion and has been living in the US for the past 20 years or so. But now he is back and as popular as ever. The girls in front of us (who looked about 25) were crazy for him! I was thrilled when they put the words to some of his songs on the big screens so we could all sing along (even in French).



It turned out to be a fantastic concert! And this was all before the big fireworks show! When the fireworks did start, I was shocked to see everyone still sitting, and when folks up front began to stand, the crowd started chanting for them to sit, "asseoir, asseoir!” But soon everyone was standing, including the group of Japanese folks who were squeezing in on our blanket. But there was happiness in the air and soon we were all squeezed in together and enjoying the spectacular show. The 6 block walk back to our hotel was quite a challenge considering we were walking directly past the nearest Metro stop with nearly a million other people. We could barely walk down the street and when poor G went into a local market to try to buy water, he nearly didn't get out! But despite the crowds, everyone was happy and peaceful and eventually we found our way back.

We had the whole next day before our train back to Geneva, so we went on a walking tour of Rue Cler and then to Les Invalides to see Napoleon's Tomb and the Military museums of WWI & WWII. The museum was very well put together and although it was a bit long, I really liked it. My mom was keen on seeing the Picasso Museum and I was interested in the Carnavalet Museum. But once we dropped my mom off, we realized that we were too tired and a bit museumed-out so G and I hung out in a shady local park until it was time to meet up with my mom again.

Back in Geneva we had little time to rest because early the next morning we were headed to Venice! We arrived at the Venice airport and decided to take a unique form of transport to our hotel... a water bus. It was hot and crowded, but it got us there in good time. Once we got settled we were out on the water again, this time on the Grand Canal where we followed a self-guided tour. In our quest to get the perfect seat up front of the Vaporetto, we ended up going way past the touristy areas to one of the first stops on the line. By the time we got back to Piazza San Marco (St. Mark's Square), it was time for dinner!

Early the next morning I went for a run (I went running in Amsterdam too) and realized I really love to get out before all the tourists are about and get a quick work out in. It's a great way to start the day. My mom spent the morning touring Doge's Palace and St. Mark's Basilica while I shopped at my favorite Italian clothing shop, Nuna Lie. A place full of stylish and cheap clothes that I discovered last year. In the afternoon we went on a walking tour of Venice which I loved, because we got off the beaten track and into the back streets. We grabbed a late lunch by the Rialto Bridge and then went on another self-guided walking tour to the Frari Church, doing a little shopping here and there along the way. On our way back, we wandered into St. Mark's Square and stumbled upon a movie set! Some unknown actress was singing in front of a whole lot of extras (hopefully getting some free drinks for their trouble). That night we ate at very traditional Venetian place with great food. We even got a goodie bag of fresh baked cookies that they brought with the bill!

On our last day we decided to take a closer look at St. Mark's Basilica and got in line almost an hour early to beat the crowd. I made use of the time by feeding the pigeons in the square and trying to get a good picture of them. Soon we were back on the boat for the airport and in Geneva by the early afternoon. That night I had to go to my Toastmaster's meeting and my mom was nice enough to come along. She said she really liked the meeting, even though there was a little pressure for her (and the other guests) to get up and talk! It was a nice way to end the week and a half my mom was out. I still can't believe how much we had seen and done in such a short time. Now I see where I get my travel stamina from! :)


Trying to beat the heat on the Champ de Mars in front of the Eiffel Tower


Waiting for the concert to start on the Champ de Mars


The crowds at the Eiffel Tower on July 14th


Fireworks!


In front of Napoleon’s Tomb in Paris


In front of the Rialto Bridge


Handmade Venetian masks


I didn't have a scarf or sweater to drape over my shoulders when we went into the cathedrals, so I improvised and used my new dress!


On the set of a movie in St. Mark's Square


Pigeons in St. Mark's Square

1 Comments:

Blogger SabineM said...

I must be your only reader that knows Michel Polnareff. I grew up listening to him! Didn't know he was still around and HEADLINING!??! wow

6:09 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home