Bonjour de la Suisse

Hello from Switzerland! ~~ The adventures of a California girl who got married to a great guy, G, and traded in her old life for the chance to live in a foreign land and live the expat life for a couple years. We live in Geneva, Switzerland with our globe-trotting cat, Scout.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : California, United States

"The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land." ~ G.K. Chesterton

lundi, avril 21, 2008

We made it to full term!!

Twelve weeks ago when I was first put on bed rest, the thought of making it to full term seemed like such an impossible goal that I tried not to think about it too much. I was afraid to get my hopes up too high in the beginning. I kept my goals within reach; 28 weeks, 32 weeks, 34 weeks. But really, each week was a huge accomplishment for us.

Now that the days have slowly passed into weeks and the weeks have slowly added up, we have made it to that magic number that had seemed so far… 37 weeks. Full term! I cannot express just how thankful we are that we made it this far. All the bed rest and positive thinking has worked! And even though it hasn’t been easy, every minute has been worth it!

I’m still on bed rest, but now since we are no longer at risk for having a preterm baby we can give birth at the Clinique Generale-Beaulieu, (which is sort of like the 5 star hospital of Geneva) instead of the HUG (Hôpitaux Universitaires de Genève) where I was hospitalized before (where the NICU is located). We have also gone back to my original OBGYN who is associated with the Beaulieu Clinique.

We have also met with our pediatrician. Here in Switzerland you have a prenatal appointment with the pediatrician before the baby is born. Then they are present at the birth! I think it is a great system. We already know who is going to be taking care of little Rumi and we really like the doctor.

Now even though I’m still on bed rest, this last week I was told I can get up a little bit more to help get my muscles back in a little bit of shape in time for the delivery. So last Thursday I was very brave and ventured out to Starbucks which is about 2 blocks from our flat to meet up with the girls from the “The Non-Desperate Housewives of Geneva” group. The walk took about 15 minutes and I was careful to take it as easy as possible. It took a lot out of me, but it was such a boost to be able to get out of our flat!!! That has been the only time I’ve left the house this week (besides to see the doctor). I’ve been trying to walk a little more around the apartment, but I'm very careful not to do too much. I want to be ready for when the little one arrives, and it won’t be long now! We can hardly wait!! :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Marcy said...

Oh my goodness Debbie, I think you've popped! lol You look very cute and round. =)

8:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats to making it full term! I'm sure the next step will be very exciting for everyone! From a fellow former Californian...

4:26 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home