Bonjour de la Suisse

Hello from Switzerland! ~~ The adventures of a California girl who got married to a great guy, G, and traded in her old life for the chance to live in a foreign land and live the expat life for a couple years. We live in Geneva, Switzerland with our globe-trotting cat, Scout.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : California, United States

"The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land." ~ G.K. Chesterton

samedi, juin 17, 2006

Ahoj from Praha



Because of the very cold winter, we have not yet done any traveling in Eastern Europe. So our weekend in Prague (or Praha in Czech) was something special for me, since it was the first time I had been to Eastern Europe. Unfortunately I was sick as a dog before we left! All I wanted to do was stay in bed and nurse myself back to health, but we went, tissues in hand, and had a great time. The naps & Dayquil were lifesavers, and by the time we were headed home I was actually feeling better.

The Czech Republic is in the European Union, but they have yet to go onto the Euro (they plan to in 2009). I could never quite get the hang of their currency because the exchange rate of Czech Crowns (CZK) to dollars to is roughly 25:1. Maybe it was that I wasn't used to carrying around 1,000 & 2,000 note bills. None the less, I think I was driving Gary a little crazy, always asking him, "how much does this cost?" Simple math and being sick just don't mix for me!

The sights of Prague are wonderful, and personally I think it has some of the most picturesque squares and neighborhoods I've seen so far in Europe. The city is charming, fun, and a great deal! We spent most of our time in the Old Town, at Prague Castle, and in the Jewish Quarter.

The only thing that put a damper on the trip (no pun intended) was that it was cold and drizzly, which didn't help when I wasn't feeling well anyway. Our hotel was across the river from the Old Town, just on the other side of a long park (Letenske Sady) that overlooked most of the city. The walk between our hotel and town through the park was very nice, and besides getting lost in it going to the castle (again, I knew exactly where we were going) we really liked strolling through Letenske Sady, taking in the scenery.

We has so much fun on our ghost tour in Edinburgh that we tempted fate and went on another one (big mistake). I don't think it was lack of content that made it so bad, but our guide was just horrible! He didn't know anything about anything and he looked extremely boarded with the whole thing (like the rest of us on the tour). I kept hoping it would get better ("it has to get better!" we kept telling ourselves), but it never did. Then he dropped us off on the other end of the city, far from where we had started. "Okay, bye!" was all we got! We found our way back, but it was pretty funny (after a couple of beers).

The next night I was feeling (slightly) better and I wanted to try some traditional Czech food. The dinner was heavy, but very good. I had cabbage soup with "brown bread" and some very dense potato dumplings. I was happy and full.

Then the waiter asked us something (in Czech), when we didn't understand he asked us again (louder) and then kept repeating the word (in English) "traditional". Now, as you may know, I am a sucker for anything traditional on my travels, so when he said "can I bring for you?" I said enthusiastically, "Yes!" Next thing we know we have some kind of clear shot that smelled just awful. Oh well, when in Rome...

Another big mistake. I'm pretty sure that was the worst thing I have ever drank in my life. And the taste stayed with us for hours! I ever tried to eat lemon sorbet a couple hours later to help dissipate the taste, but it was to no avail. We later figured out we drank Slivovice (we think). Not recommended. But now I can say I did it!

All in all, it was a great trip, even being sick. At the statue of John of Nepomuk on the Charles Bridge (Karluv Most), we touched the bronze plaque at his feet, ensuring our return to the city (according to local ledged). You never know, maybe we will be back to this wonderful place again someday!


Us in front of the Astronomical Clock (Prague Orloj) in the Old Town Square (Staromestske Namesti). On the hour there is a little show (12 apostles appear from the clock and a rooster crows), and during the day, every tourist in Prague congregates here. For a 500 year old clock it's impressive, but I think the people watching is even better! (By the way, this picture was taken at 8am on Sunday.)


The St. Vitus Cathedral (Katadrala Sv. Vita) at Prague Castle (Pražský Hrad). This is actually only part of the church, it's so big you can't get a picture of the whole thing!


Me in front of a house on the Golden Lane (Zlata Ulicka) at the Prague Castle.


Only in Europe!


G & the space cow in Letenske Sady, our neighborhood park.


The Tyn Church in the Old Town Square. The spires are named "Adam" & "Eve" and if you look closely you can even see that the left one (Eve) is smaller than the right.


Us on the Charles Bridge (Karluv Most), trying to stay warm!


One of my favorite Europe pictures! A view of Prague Castle from the Charles Bridge.