Bonjour de la Suisse

Hello from Switzerland! ~~ The adventures of a California girl who got married to a great guy, G, and traded in her old life for the chance to live in a foreign land and live the expat life for a couple years. We live in Geneva, Switzerland with our globe-trotting cat, Scout.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : California, United States

"The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land." ~ G.K. Chesterton

jeudi, janvier 04, 2007

Bonne Année!!

Happy New Year &
wishing you all the best for 2007!

This New Year I've decided to forego the usual resolutions (although I thought about borrowing yours Mingle!) and instead I want to take a minute to do a little reflecting on this crazy year I've had.

We started the year in a strange place where we didn't speak the language and knew hardly anybody at all. Last January I was still on sabbatical. When I realized that we had the opportunity to move to Switzerland, I was apprehensive about the thought of leaving my friends, my family, and my job. But I was also eager for a grand adventure and moving overseas was something I had always dreamed about.

Looking back, we certainly have had some grand adventures! Although I still haven't mastered French, I understand the language more than I used to and am still thrilled every time I have a little conversation and the other person understands me! We have met some wonderful people from all over the world and made some really good friends. We were lucky enough to be here for the Winter Olympics in Torino and the World Cup in Germany. We also celebrated our first wedding anniversary in Venice. I have been overcoming my fear of public speaking. We've snow boarded in some amazing places in Switzerland, France and Italy. I got to tag along with G on some fabulous business trips (Köln, Fuerteventura, & Munich). I've joined my first book club (& now a second) and have read 15 books in one year. And we have visited 17 countries on two continents. This is all still pretty amazing to me and I still wake up everyday thinking "I can't believe I'm here!"

But my favorite memories of 2006 were the times we spent with our friends and family (both here and state-side). I was so lucky to be able to be there for THREE weddings this year! My cousin's in Florida, M & G's in Vegas, and D & C's in California. I also received the happy news that my little brother got engaged, so there will be another wedding soon! :) And on top of all of that, our nice, Ally was born just hours before I had to hop a flight back to Geneva, so I got to see her!

We also squeezed in our annual houseboat trip up at Trinity which was a blast, as usual. My favorite quote came from a friend here in Geneva (who went to Chico) who said, "Okay, let me get this straight... You live in Europe and are vacationing in Redding?!?" Damn straight we are! ;)

We also had a blast with all of our visitors to Europe too! P & K were the first to arrive and help us to ring in the New Year in Paris! My Mom came and braved the cold in April (so we flew to warmer places in Spain & Italy). J and I toured around France & Italy in July. Chica was out for more than three weeks in August, when we had all sorts of crazy adventures! And G's mom & Mrs. Floss were here in the fall for a fun, whirlwind visit! I have to tell you we loved every minute of the time we got to spend with everyone; it really means so much to share this experience with our friends and family!

This year I've broadened my perspectives, have become more worldly, and have learned more about culture, history, and art then I ever did in school! But I think the biggest thing that I realized is that no matter where you go, friends and family are the most important and best part of life! I'm lucky to be blessed with a wonderful husband and to have some truly amazing people in my life. And even if they are far away at the moment, I know when we step off the plane, it will be just like we never left!

So what did we do to celebrate the end of one great year and the beginning of an even better one?!? We went to a 10 course Chinese dinner with some of our GoL friends and then we were off to a bar called Heaven to count down to the New Year! There was lots of dancing, confetti being thrown, and Champaign flowing. We didn't get home until 4:30, but we had a great time. Here are some pics from the New Years Eve party:





1 Comments:

Blogger Kid said...

Nice recap. We miss you guys.

Obus: is that Hayden McComas in the 1st picutre?

4:57 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home