Bonjour de la Suisse

Hello from Switzerland! ~~ The adventures of a California girl who got married to a great guy, G, and traded in her old life for the chance to live in a foreign land and live the expat life for a couple years. We live in Geneva, Switzerland with our globe-trotting cat, Scout.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : California, United States

"The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land." ~ G.K. Chesterton

mercredi, décembre 06, 2006

Course de L'Escalade

It's that time of year again, time for the Fête de l’Escalade -- Geneva’s independence celebration, which commemorates the city’s victory over the Duke of Savoy’s troops in 1602.

A big part of the festivities is the huge foot race, called the Course de L'Escalade, through Geneva's Old Town. It's a bit like the Bay to Breakers, there are lots of serious runners, but lots of people dress up too. We were crazy enough to sign up and joined over 18,000 other enthusiastic runners for the big race.

We wound our way through the narrow streets of the Old Town (which is full of VERY steep hills by the way) and I'm happy to say we both finished with a respectable time. We ran in separate races (my race was 5km and his was 7.25km) and poor G had to run in the dark and then it started to rain! The streets in the Old Town are cobble stone, so it got pretty slippery for the runners (one guy slid right into me as I was waiting for G to come down the final hill). It was freezing, but I stayed and cheered him on until the very end!

My favorite l’Escalade tradition is eating Swiss chocolate pots (Marmite d’Escalade) bearing the city’s coat of arms in red and gold and adorned with marzipan ‘vegetables’. These represent sweet reminders of the cauldron of boiling vegetable soup that Mère Royaume poured over the city wall to keep the French at bay and bring victory to Geneva. The festival is a colorful affair. People celebrate with a big parade, dressing up in 17th-century dress, and eating big feasts with plenty of vegetable soup.


The official car of the Course de L'Escalade


Getting ready for my race


G before his big race


G's race

3 Comments:

Blogger Kid said...

Nice...any cousins yet? No pressure really but you can run a marathon anytime.

1:38 AM  
Blogger CHO farmer said...

What were your times? I am going to start training for a half marathon in March pretty soon with my "new" friends in CCP2. Joe R. might even train too. Have you two been running much?

8:29 AM  
Blogger Swiss Miss said...

Marathon?!? Times?!? It was only a 5 km (for me) with LOTS of hills (keep that in mind when I send you my times) ;) I have to look them up, but I will get them for you.

My next goal is a half marathon, but that may wait until next year. It is starting to really getting cold and that means more gym and less being outside!

7:50 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home