Bonjour de la Suisse

Hello from Switzerland! ~~ The adventures of a California girl who got married to a great guy, G, and traded in her old life for the chance to live in a foreign land and live the expat life for a couple years. We live in Geneva, Switzerland with our globe-trotting cat, Scout.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : California, United States

"The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land." ~ G.K. Chesterton

vendredi, novembre 17, 2006

Blue ribbon speech

I finally got up the nerve to go ahead with my second speech in Toastmasters. I really like Toastmasters, but I've realized that I'm much more scared of public speaking than I thought I was. Back at my old job I was a trainer, ran meetings, gave presentations, and did all kinds of public speaking without even the slightest tinge of nerves. Now, I'm so nervous I shake like a leaf every time I have to say something at our meetings.

I figured it was time to stop procrastinating and get on with my prepared speeches (we have to complete 10), even though I wasn't thrilled about it. I wrote most of my second speech when I was home in California, but I still had to work out the bugs, get the timing right, and practice, practice, practice. I finished the final draft the day before and spent every waking hour going over it. Still, I didn't think that I was really ready.

On Wednesday I gave my five to seven minute speech on genealogy. I was calmer and more relaxed than I thought I would be and was well within my time limit. My evaluation was good, the only thing I was dinged on was that I talk a bit fast and that I have a thick accent "from your part of the US".

Why am I telling you all this?!? Because I got the award for Best Speech of the evening! I hate to gloat, but I was walking on air when I got home. It has even inspired me to start working on my next speech that I will be giving on February 7th (the next slot open to speak). So, I think Toastmasters is working. I'm less nervous and now have a ton of confidence for the next time around. I can't wait!

3 Comments:

Blogger sactownkid said...

congrats on your speech, way to go!

9:19 PM  
Blogger Kid said...

Toastmasters??? If you weren't part of the family I'd be making fun of you right now.

Congrats...I guess. ;)

kid

6:21 AM  
Blogger Kid said...

Ohh and just for the record...i'm only teasing. Fantastic job.

6:28 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home