Bonjour de la Suisse

Hello from Switzerland! ~~ The adventures of a California girl who got married to a great guy, G, and traded in her old life for the chance to live in a foreign land and live the expat life for a couple years. We live in Geneva, Switzerland with our globe-trotting cat, Scout.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : California, United States

"The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land." ~ G.K. Chesterton

lundi, octobre 23, 2006

See y'all state-side! :)

Well my friends, I'm heading home to the good ol' U-S-of-A!

In a few hours I'm flying to Florida to visit my warm-weather relatives for a few days. I can't wait to see them! Then I'll be back in Cali late Friday night. I have a few updates, and I still have a blog to write about G's mum & Mrs. Floss (I will have to come up with better nick names for them!) who were here visiting last week.

So, first things first:
G's mum and Mrs. Floss were out visiting for a week and a half or so. We had such a good time while they were here and I still can't believe how much we did while they were in town... we visited 4 countries in 8 days!!! I picked them up in Zurich, then to Bern, Barcelona, Geneva, Vienna, Luzern, Annecy, and then back to Zurich. We really had the best time, but I don't want to give too much away before I write the official blog, complete with pics, next week.

This past week, in-between blogging and getting ready for our big trip home, I attended my Toastmasters meeting and a book club meeting. Both would have been uneventful, but somehow I ended up with big commitments for next month in both groups! My second Toastmasters speech on the 15th and I am actually hosting the next book club meeting on the 30th.

Now neither are that bad, but I have NO idea what I will be talking about for my speech and the girl who hosted the October book club meeting prepared us a Martha Stewart type dinner, complete with wheat-free dishes for the wheat allergics in the group. How the hell am I going to even compare to that?!? I cook WAY more than I used to, but don't be fooled... I'm a long way from being the next Martha Stewart. So, I hope I can put a respectable dinner together for the group, because I really do like them and don't want to drive them away with my sub-par culinary skills.

On Saturday night G & I went to our second Musical Chairs Dinner with the GenevaOnLine crowd. The way it works is you meet up with 70 other GoL people at a restaurant and everyone changes tables for each of the three courses. The idea is to meet new people and get to know folks you have met before a little better. It was a great night; we met tons of people and had a really fun time.

OH!! And the BIG news of the week (besides G's uncle driving his segway into a lake in Los Gatos) is that both G and I are proud new owners of Swiss driver’s licenses!!!! You are required to get a Swiss license within a year of moving here and my one year deadline was coming up fast. I had two issues in getting the license though. First, I renewed my CDL in March of last year, and since in California they don't write the date you started driving on your actual license, the good people at the Swiss DMV though I was a new driver (only driving since March). Second, I have a class B license (for driving fire engines) and they had no idea what a B license was. They thought it was lower than a class C, since B comes first alphabetically (I guess). But two trips later and with the help of an interpreter (my friend Mrs. Kofi), I got my license!!!!! Oh happy day!!!!! Then G waltzed in and got his no problem. :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Kid said...

Sammy is looking forward to you coming to see her play soccer on Saturday AM.

9:33 PM  
Blogger CHO farmer said...

You know the digits. Holla when you get the time!

10:05 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home