Bonjour de la Suisse

Hello from Switzerland! ~~ The adventures of a California girl who got married to a great guy, G, and traded in her old life for the chance to live in a foreign land and live the expat life for a couple years. We live in Geneva, Switzerland with our globe-trotting cat, Scout.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : California, United States

"The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land." ~ G.K. Chesterton

samedi, octobre 28, 2006

Plane Karma

What is up with me and air travel? Lately we just don't seem to mix. I'm writing from the great state of Florida, when I should be in California, and thankfully I narrowly escaped spending the night in Ohio. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

First, on my 8 hour flight from Geneva to Newark, I sat next to a CRAZY man. He was yelling at me, at the flight attendants, complaining about everything, and even physically crawling over me before I had a chance to move out of his way. And this was all before we took off!!! In between his yelling, he wouldn't stop talking to me. He was drilling me about who was responsible for the Cubin missile crisis, what I though of the Carter administration, and other random thoughts. He was hands-down the WORST seat-mate I have ever had on a flight.

In a desperate move to get away from him, I had to physically move a lady's coat off an adjacent empty seat (she was trying to stake out 3 seats in the row next to us) and with the sweetest smile I could muster, I said "Hi, I hope you don't mind sharing your row, but this way we can all spread out." She minded, but I wasn't going back!

My connecting flight was better, for a while. Oh, things started off well. I sat next to a pilot who lived in Munich for a while and had been working for Continental for a few years. He was very nice, good conversation (but not too much), and best of all he wasn’t yelling at me about Jimmy Carter.

We reached Ft. Lauderdale on time, but I noticed we had circled the airport an awful lot. My pilot neighbor noticed this too. Turns out that our fearless leader, George W. was in town rallying the vote and his plane was late taking off. He was SO LATE that we were running out of gas!!! We diverted to West Palm Beach airport, refueled, flew a whole 10 minutes back to Ft. Lauderdale and circled a bit more until George was safely airborne and we common folk could land. All-in-all we ended up two hours late!! My poor aunt & uncle had been waiting that whole time!

And so we come to tonight. My flight to SFO (through Cincinnati) was delayed for an hour and a half due to mechanical issues. Too bad my lay over was 45 minutes. So, for the first time in my flying life I was put on another flight, but not until tomorrow. When my aunt drove back to the airport to get me (bless her soul), she asked if I had asked for an upgrade for my inconveniences. I hadn't thought that quickly. I was just amazed that they could get me a window seat and somehow got my bag off the original plane and to me in about 20 minutes.

So, cross your fingers for me for tomorrow. With any luck, George W. won't be making any campaign stops along my route!

2 Comments:

Blogger CHO farmer said...

He won't be coming to Cali. Arnold is staying away from W and not trying to come across as too Republican these days. With this being a Blue state I don't think he will be here again anytime soon. He visited last month and from the reports I read, the turnout was less than they hoped.
Have a safe flight and ask for extra peanuts and a complimentary cocktail or two....

9:07 PM  
Blogger Kid said...

Jimmy Carter: hands down the worst President Ever!!!!!!

9:05 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home