Bonjour de la Suisse

Hello from Switzerland! ~~ The adventures of a California girl who got married to a great guy, G, and traded in her old life for the chance to live in a foreign land and live the expat life for a couple years. We live in Geneva, Switzerland with our globe-trotting cat, Scout.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : California, United States

"The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land." ~ G.K. Chesterton

vendredi, janvier 26, 2007

Domestic goddess?

Well, I've successfully thrown my first dinner party! (Actually it's my 2nd, a few months ago I made älpermagrone for G, Mr. & Mrs. Kofi, & sister L - but that meal was pretty simple.)

Last night the GoL book club met at our place and as host, I was responsible for feeding everyone! Our meetings used to be pot-luck style, which was fine by me (I always just brought a dessert or a bottle of wine and left the cooking to the folks who actually knew what they were doing), but then the past few meetings have been hosted by some Martha Stewart types who fixed some wonderful meals, and the bar was raised. Super.

I was expecting 10, but in the end there were only 7 of us (including G, who sat in on the meeting even though he didn't read the book - he's quite a trooper.) Back in Cal;ifornia, I would be tempted to buy everything already chopped, assembled and ready to go, but the lack of pre-prepared food in this town had forced me to actually cook everything I made, which was quite an accomplishment for me.

For those of you who have had my "cooking", I know this will be hard for you to believe this, but here is the menu:

Appetizers:
Assortment of cheese & crackers
Tomato and Mozzarella Salad with assortment of olives

1st course:
Curried Sweet Potato Soup
Strawberry and Feta Green Salad
Fresh bread

Main course:
Pasta (regular and wheat-free)
with a choice of either: Thick and Chunky Tomato Sauce with Veggies or Red Wine Chunky Meat Sauce (both made from scratch)
Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes

Dessert:
Assortment of fresh baked and store bought cookies
Chocolates
Bite-sized ice cream bars

The evening was a great success! We discussed the book "Follow Your Heart" by Susanna Tamaro. It's about a grandmother in Italy writing a letter to her estranged granddaughter who is studying in the US. The book was all right, it had some very good insight into life and all around a heartwarming novel. Next month we're reading "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosswni. I just finished it and it is excellent! It's a bit sad, but it is one of the best books I have ever read!

So now I'm one step closer to becoming a domestic goddess... Watch out Martha, I'm just getting started! ;)

1 Comments:

Blogger Kid said...

Obus...you are a good sport.

9:12 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home