Bonjour de la Suisse

Hello from Switzerland! ~~ The adventures of a California girl who got married to a great guy, G, and traded in her old life for the chance to live in a foreign land and live the expat life for a couple years. We live in Geneva, Switzerland with our globe-trotting cat, Scout.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : California, United States

"The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land." ~ G.K. Chesterton

lundi, février 05, 2007

Are you ready for some American football?

I had been more or less following the NFL these past few weeks leading up to "the big game". Unfortunately, when my two favorite teams (Seahawks & Eagles) were both eliminated from the playoffs on the same weekend I lost a lot of interest, but the season must go on and Super bowl weekend was upon us.

I was trying to find someone to watch the game with, but since it came on at 12:30am Monday morning, G was out and it seems my fellow Americans were all going to be in bed. I had heard that a local sports pub, Mr. Pickwicks, would be showing the game live (in English) via SKY Digital Satellite TV. The problem was I didn't know anyone going and I would have to walk, since the trams stop after midnight and would certainly not be running at 3:30 when the game would be wrapping up. Things looked bleak.

Much to my surprise, on the "France2" station, there it was, right in our living room... the Super bowl! It was CBS's coverage, but with none of the English commentary, touching "feel-good segments", or <<gasp>> commercials! Instead the extra time was filled in with a sole French sportscaster interviewing anyone who could speak French. It was the most random selection of people, from a technical engineer in the sound room to some Francophone fans. It was great to hear the French commentary of the game. They were really getting into it, screaming "Cet est incroyable!!!" and "SUPER!" (pronounced "Suuu-Pear!!!"). I even learned some new vocabulary words that I'm sure will be used on a daily basis, like "lignes défensif" (defensive lineman) and "calembours le retour" (punt return).

Overall it was a very entertaining game and I'm happy the Colts won. The half-time show was great. Fortunately, Prince was not dubbed and I highly enjoyed the "Purple Rain" ballad. And now I have even more incentive to become fluent in French... maybe someday I will be interviewed for France2's coverage of the big game! As for the commercials, I heard they are on YouTube... thank goodness for technology! :)

9 Comments:

Blogger Kid said...

Game: C+
Commercials: C-

Thanks for the link!

8:12 PM  
Blogger Swiss Miss said...

That's all I get?!?

8:58 PM  
Blogger Mrs Mingle said...

We are very happy the Colts won! And check out the Taco Bell commercial with the lions - that was my favorite ;)

7:03 AM  
Blogger CHO farmer said...

Grace loved watching parts of the game. She was banging on the TV screen during one the many fumbles and yelling "oohh, oohh!"

12:10 AM  
Blogger Kid said...

Miss Swiss: what more would you like? How bout I serve you with a little Global Warming debunk (you know Al Gore's full of hot air). Enjoy.

http://www.canadafreepress.com/2007/global-warming020507.htm

1:03 AM  
Blogger Kid said...

CSM site now proudly displayed on the Pig Nation site. You scratch my back...I scratch yours.

Now really...Global Warming is a natural cycle...loose the link to the propaganda machine. Check out the science not the stats that Al tosses at you. Look at the science (not the rhetoric) and make up your own mind.

5:26 AM  
Blogger Kid said...

This Bud's for you

5:27 AM  
Blogger Swiss Miss said...

Hey Kid - thanks for the link!
BTW, since I'm a believer in free speech I read your article, but Global Warming is real! And if it isn't, I think we can all agree that cleaning up the mess we've made and saving a little energy in the process is good for all of us!

Tonight I'm even giving a speech on it at Toastmasters... spreading the good word! :)

12:10 PM  
Blogger Kid said...

welcome. good luck on the speech.

4:54 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home