Bonjour de la Suisse

Hello from Switzerland! ~~ The adventures of a California girl who got married to a great guy, G, and traded in her old life for the chance to live in a foreign land and live the expat life for a couple years. We live in Geneva, Switzerland with our globe-trotting cat, Scout.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : California, United States

"The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land." ~ G.K. Chesterton

dimanche, mars 04, 2007

Game on!

For the past few months, I've been looking for a team to join here in Geneva, but I wasn't having much luck. There just doesn't seem to be a whole lot of women's teams here, French speaking or otherwise. I found a women's rugby team I was eager to try out, but they only play on Saturdays and we are gone most weekends, so that was out. A friend of mine in Toastmasters recently mentioned that she plays netball on Tuesday nights and I was welcome to come and check the team out. Sounds great! But I had only one question... What is netball?!?

Netball is actually a team sport similar to and derived from basketball (but very different). The game is played with a ball resembling a basketball, on a hard court with baskets on both ends, although the hoops do not have a backboard. The court is divided into thirds which regulate where individuals on each team are allowed to move. There are 7 players per team, and each player wears a bib with the player's position written on it, so the ref can keep track of everyone and be sure you don't leave your area. The biggest difference (from basketball) for me is that you can only take one step once you have the ball, you can't dribble it, there are only 2 people that are allowed to shoot, and the ball can't travel over more than one third of the court without someone touching it. Oh, and you can't get closer than 3 feet to the person with the ball and you cannot hold the ball for more than 6 seconds. Got all that?!?

My first night I didn't know ANY of this. I showed up and figured I would be watching instead of playing, but the captain threw me in (despite not knowing a single rule) and told me I will be playing the position of "Goal Keeper". "Um, isn't that an important position?" I asked. But she reassured me I would be fine. We played four 15 minute quarters and I picked up the game fast, despite getting a few penalty whistles that were waved off due to my lack of experience. Nothing like learning as you go!

The gals on the team are really nice. They are almost all from England, Australia, and New Zealand, where netball is played. So, unfortunately I won't be practicing my French while I'm there, but I am meeting some really nice people and learning a new sport. I was told I'm the first American to join the team, so I guess I'm representing the good old U S of A too. Maybe when we move back I can start up a team in San Francisco... if I can find anyone who has heard of it! :)