Bonjour de la Suisse

Hello from Switzerland! ~~ The adventures of a California girl who got married to a great guy, G, and traded in her old life for the chance to live in a foreign land and live the expat life for a couple years. We live in Geneva, Switzerland with our globe-trotting cat, Scout.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : California, United States

"The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land." ~ G.K. Chesterton

jeudi, février 08, 2007

Rubbish!

Last night at my toastmasters meeting I gave my third speech, "Being Green", on global warming. This can be a gloom-and-doom subject, so I tried to make it lighthearted and funny, using Kermit the Frog's song "It's Not Easy Being Green" in my intro. Overall the speech was a success, although I still need to work on my nervousness.

The club is very international, with only about five of us (out of about 40) from the US. This has gotten me in a bit of trouble. I've been told I have a "thick California accent" and after my speech last night, the grammarian (from the UK) criticized my use of language. I used the words "garbage" and "trash" in my speech when I should have used "rubbish". Nothing against the queen's English, but I don't think I've ever actually used the word rubbish in my life!

But no matter, next time I think I'll tell a story of a family going on holiday:

We start at their flat where they open their wardrobe and pack the suitcase with their pullovers, tights and trousers. "Don't forget your swimming costume!” shouts mom. After throwing the suitcase in the boot and waiting in the queue to fill their tank with petrol, the family picked up some bangers, crisps, biscuits, and sweets for the road and a tin of beer for later. Driving down the motorway they dodged a lorry in the roundabout before heading into the crossroads, careful not to hit any pedestrians in the zebra crossing. At the hotel the kids watched some Beeb and football on the box while mom & dad headed out for a game of billiards at the local pub with their mates.

Hahaha... not too bad for a yank! ;)

1 Comments:

Blogger Kid said...

Three words for your British grammarian: Boston Tea Party

6:56 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home