Bonjour de la Suisse

Hello from Switzerland! ~~ The adventures of a California girl who got married to a great guy, G, and traded in her old life for the chance to live in a foreign land and live the expat life for a couple years. We live in Geneva, Switzerland with our globe-trotting cat, Scout.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : California, United States

"The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land." ~ G.K. Chesterton

samedi, février 10, 2007

# 101 - The big switch

Well, I can't quite believe it, but I'm already at post #101... pretty cool huh?!? 16 months ago I started this blog and here we are today, 101 posts later. It has developed quite a bit over the past year, with new links here and there and other fun tid-bits. I've learned a lot and have had a great time sharing our Swiss life with all of you (and jotting down our adventures for us to read later).

I'm now facing my biggest challenge yet... I have to switch to the "new Blogger" which I really don't want to do, but I'm afraid if I don't do it myself, I will be forced to by the big bad people at Google. Why am I afraid? Well, the big reason (aside from hearing the horror stories from people loosing everything on their blogs during "the big switch"), is that the new form of blogger seems to be permanently stuck in German for me. If you have noticed I haven't been posting on anyone's blogs recently. This is because every time I go onto a blog that has made the switch to the "new Blogger", I get everything (except the actual content of the blog) in German. The blue nav bar at the top, the sign-in page for comments, and even the main blogger page... all in German.

I've read everything I can to see how to fix the problem, but it seems that Google (the new owners of Blogger), determines your language by your IP address and not by the language you select on your profile. I've read about people (English speakers) from all over the world that have the same problem. The most common "problem" languages seem to be German, Chinese, and Spanish... although I have heard of others. So, when I change to the "new Blogger" I'm going to have to translate things through babble-fish or something like that until Google helps us monolingual Anglophones out a bit.

Wish me luck! If you are reading this post, it means that at least I haven't lost everything in the big switch. See you on the other side...