Bonjour de la Suisse

Hello from Switzerland! ~~ The adventures of a California girl who got married to a great guy, G, and traded in her old life for the chance to live in a foreign land and live the expat life for a couple years. We live in Geneva, Switzerland with our globe-trotting cat, Scout.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : California, United States

"The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land." ~ G.K. Chesterton

mardi, avril 29, 2008

Happy Birthday Madeleine!

After months of waiting and worrying, of planning and praying, of guarded anticipation... the day had finally arrived. It was truly a miracle. We had made it to full term and now we were on our way to the hospital for the birth of our little one. Because of a previous surgery, we were scheduled for a cesarean which they prefer to schedule a couple weeks ahead of the due date just to be safe. We made it 38 weeks and two days - right on schedule. In the end, all the bed rest was worth it!

We arrived at the hospital at 7am to prepare for the birth. The morning was a flurry of activity and before I knew it I was being wheeled to the operating room. G was prepped in another room, but he was right by my side by the time they started. I was so overwhelmed with emotion.

At 10:03am our little Madeleine Grace was born. "It's a girl!" She was held up quickly over the screen so I could see her. She was so beautiful. I was so overwhelmed with love and joy I cried. She was then taken to get cleaned up and her vitals were checked... she was perfect! Then there was time for a quick picture before she left with the pediatrician and G for some more testing - all was okay. She was a healthy 3.725 kg and 50 cm long.

While Madeleine and G were off doing all the tests, I was being sewn up (which took about 45 minutes). While I was in recovery G and Madeleine came in to see me. I just couldn't believe how beautiful our daughter was and I started to tear up again. It was a couple of hours until I was brought up to my room. The afternoon was filled with phone calls home (very early for our family back in California, but nobody seemed to mind). Gary also got lessons in changing and dressing little Maddie. The day went by amazingly fast! I have to say I am so in love with this new little person! I already cannot imagine my world without her.

Welcome to the world little Madeleine!


On our way to the hospital


Our first family photo, still on the operating table!


Little Maddie on the scale - she weighed in at 3.725kg


Madeleine's first day


Madeleine and I resting in the recovery room


The three of us in the recovery room