Bonjour de la Suisse

Hello from Switzerland! ~~ The adventures of a California girl who got married to a great guy, G, and traded in her old life for the chance to live in a foreign land and live the expat life for a couple years. We live in Geneva, Switzerland with our globe-trotting cat, Scout.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : California, United States

"The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land." ~ G.K. Chesterton

dimanche, mai 04, 2008

Five star hospitality

So when I decided to give birth at the Clinique Generale-Beaulieu I was told by Mrs. Kofi (who also gave birth there) that it would be like a vacation. Hmmmm... major surgery and birth like a vacation? Well, besides the abdominal pain and struggling to walk again, it almost was!

I was in the hospital for six days (four of which were without a room mate) which is standard in Switzerland after a cesarean. It was really great because it gave me time to recover (it took two days for me to take my first steps) and for us as a little family time to get to know each other. It also gave G and I time to savor the first few days with Maddie without worrying about anything. We had lots of visitors while we were in the hospital which really made me happy. So many people wanted to meet Madeleine.

Everything about the hospital was great. The care we got was excellent. The staff was fantastic, the nurses and mid-wives were so supportive and helped me so much with everything from breastfeeding to building our confidence as parents. The nursery was first class, with stations to weigh, bathe, change and dress all the babies. Everything is provided for you (even all the clothes) and there is always someone there to help out.

But my biggest surprise was how delicious the food was. I would have paid good money to eat that hospital food in a nice restaurant. That is right... delicious hospital food (now there are three words you don't hear together too often). And on top of that we were given a special Champaign dinner for G and I one night right there in our room. It was fantastic; five star all the way!

Although it wasn't quite the same as being on vacation, having Madeleine at Clinique Generale-Beaulieu was an amazing experience. If I had my way I would have all my future kids there. But somehow I doubt our insurance is going to pay for plane tickets to Switzerland! :)


Madeleine at one day old


Hi dad!


Our room with a view


She is just so cute!


So happy together


Our five star Champaign dinner


Bon Appetit!


One last sip!


Lots of kisses


G in the nursery


Time for a nap!


Our little family