Bonjour de la Suisse

Hello from Switzerland! ~~ The adventures of a California girl who got married to a great guy, G, and traded in her old life for the chance to live in a foreign land and live the expat life for a couple years. We live in Geneva, Switzerland with our globe-trotting cat, Scout.

Ma photo
Nom :
Lieu : California, United States

"The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land." ~ G.K. Chesterton

mardi, mai 27, 2008

Howdy neighbor!

Today is the annual Fête des Voisins (or European Neighbors' Day). It is a bid to get us to actually talk to our neighbors for longer than a ride together in the elevator. I think it is a fantastic idea and I would love to see it extended to the US. After all, there is (hopefully) no harm in having a chat with our closest residents and build community bridges.

This got me to thinking... how many of us actually know our neighbors? Back when we lived in Redwood City I didn't know anyone, or so I thought. The day of "The Great Flood" I found out that I worked with the gal who lived upstairs and she had lived right there near us for a year before we realized we were neighbors.

Here in Geneva I occasionally chat with an Englishman from upstairs and say a hearty "bonjour" to everyone I run into, but I really don't know anyone in the building. Since Madeleine has arrived I'm sure everyone knows us (especially after we got locked out during a rain storm and had to wait in the lobby for about 10 minutes while Maddie cried). I have started chatting more with the owner of the hair salon on the ground floor of the building. Rony, the coiffure (or hair dresser) is quite enamored with little Maddie and I see him quite often as we come and go.

When we return to California I would love to know our neighbors better. I would also love to see "Neighbors' Day" expand beyond Europe, especially to the US - I think it would make the world a better place!

1 Comments:

Blogger CHO farmer said...

Well, your neighbors to the east of Redwood city wouldn't mind such a day.

8:29 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home